The DO’S AND DON’TS OF WOOD FLOORING
Advanced finish technology and innovative products make wood one of the most beautiful and easy-care flooring materials today. Suntups offers these guidelines that will help preserve a beautiful finish and keep maintenance to a minimum:
- Know the type of finish on the wood floor. Follow the proper maintenance procedures for the particular finish.
- Never wax a urethane floor. The majority of floors installed today have urethane finishes.
- Never use sheet vinyl or tile floor care products on wood floors. Self-polishing acrylic waxes cause wood to become slippery and appear dull quickly. The only remedy for this situation is to re-coat or sand and refinish the floor.
- Consult with Suntups if there is any doubt of the kind of floor finish.
- Place mats and throw rugs at doorways, exteriors and interiors to help prevent the tracking of grit, dirt and sand.
- Sweep or vacuum wood floors regularly.
- Never wet-mop a wood floor. Standing water can dull the finish, damage the wood and leave a discolouring residue. A dampened mop is better, then wipe dry.
- Wipe up food and other spills immediately with a dry or slightly dampened towel (wipe dry.)
- Put plastic or fabric-faced glides under the legs of furniture to prevent scuffing and scratching.
- Remember: cleats, sports shoes and high heels can dent any floor surface.
- When moving heavy furniture, protect wood flooring by slipping a piece of cloth or blanket under the legs or covering each leg with a heavy sock or half a milk carton.
- For wood flooring in the kitchen, place an area rug in front of the kitchen sink and stove to catch water and fat spills.