17 Mar Not Your Average CPD Event!
Thursday, 23 March 2017 will bring together architects, specifiers, designers and other built environment professionals for another DAS Conference at the Bytes Conference Centre in Midrand to tackle the pertinent topic of urban design.
This continuing practice development (CPD) category 1 event, presented by WALLS&ROOFS in Africa and FLOORS in Africa magazines, is accredited by the Pretoria Institute for Architects (PIA).
This full-day event will kick off with early morning snacks and coffee, followed by insightful presentations that will focus on sustainable urban design, with several precinct case studies putting theory into practice. Each session will be followed by an interactive questions and answer session, while a panel discussion will dig deeper into complexities around urban design issues including budgets, historic interfaces and more.
- International hospitality sustainability practitioner, Piet van Zyl, will address positive impact design.
- Architects, Lood Welgemoed and Helen Henzen, will reveal the real questions to ask when building green buildings.
- Mike Aldous from Mott McDonald will discuss the role of the QS in green building as well as research around the cost of green buildings.
- Solid Green Consulting founder, Marloes Reinink, will explain new urbanism and unpack the Green Star – Community Rating Tool.
- A case study of the Loftus precinct will be presented by Dirk Henzen from Studio 3 Design House.
- Piet van Zyl will come back for round two, discussing sustainable hotel design.
- Boogertman + Partners’ Greg Reid will present a case study on the Menlyn Maine precinct.
- Representing the Green Building Council of South Africa, Grahame Cruickshanks, will explain the EDGE residential green building rating tool.
- Zambian born architect, Kuka Mofu, will discuss architecture’s role within the African urban fabric and present a case study on the Kgoro precinct development.
An excited WALLS&ROOFS editor and business manager, Marlene van Rooyen, conveys that the conference will showcase local and international projects, tools and guideline for successful urban design.
“We are encouraging responsible, sustainable urban design with real life case studies presented by the professionals themselves. The speakers will identify precincts with unique functions and design challenges, practical examples as well as questions to ask that will encourage developers to create and fund green buildings,” she explains.
“Attending professional practitioners will gain valuable insight from experts in their fields and will, at the end of the day, be more equipped to embark on urban development programs,” she emphasises.
In support of the talks, several industry players will exhibit the latest technologies and products, and do practical demonstrations throughout the day. They will also have representatives available to answer questions face-to-face, making it easy for architects and specifiers to get a whole lot of information in one go, without spending hours setting up appointments.
The sponsors are:
- Begotex Floors.
- Marley Building Systems.
- Dekton by Consentino.
- a.b.e Construction Chemicals.
- Arcelor Mittal.
- Den Braven.
- Avance Carpets.
To book your seat, go to https://itickets.co.za/events/374525.